Friday, 3 December 2010

Rue's Friday Fragments #12

Hi I'm Rue, the artist and voice behind Passion in the Moments / E:thos Photographic. As you may have gathered in looking around the blog,  I think a lot and share those thoughts with all and sundry (that is anyone who will listen!). This weekly posting is essentially an opportunity to share tid-bits, rants and observations that I have made in the course of the week that are not really worth writing a whole article about but are interesting nevertheless. These coupled with that odd picture I have taken that doesn't really fit in anywhere, news about what's going on @ E:thos and a review of something interesting, put together in one post makes up what I call Rue's Friday Fragments. There is humour, righteous indignation, sad truths and a little of me, so something for everyone...enjoy!


Inspirational Women
We have a new tab on our menu (top of the page under Peter) dedicated to inspirational women because we all need a little inspiration and I plan to find a few ladies who can give just that! Now this is not by any means sexist because gents you can be inspired to; inspired to appreciate your wives, mothers, sisters etc as well as hear about professional and artistic women's work and the challenges they face. I hope you enjoy!

10. Picture of the week
The sky... One of my favourite things to photograph...
9. Wiki-leaks 
This is not just a media issue it is a moral one. I must say that I am a great believer in freedom of the press. It is a fundamental and important human right that we should be exposed to truth and be able to hold our legislators, leaders and judiciary to account for the decisions they make and the things they do. However, it is equally important that they can carry out their roles to protect us without fear of exposure to this type of media attention and exposure. State secrets are just that for a reason; if they are out in the public domain then the ability of our legislators and leaders to protect and govern us is compromised. Now I know that a whole variety of documents have been leaked and not all are state secrets but I am a great believer in codes of ethics and quite frankly there is a code of ethics and an employment contract that should have prevented the deplorable person who copied and leaked this information from doing so. The real issue in this story is this individual betraying his country in this manner and from what I hear there will be a suitable punishment for this action which I sincerely hope will include a long prison sentence to give this person an opportunity to reflect on the ramifications of their actions.

8. Have you got space for rent?
This one speaks for itself!


7. Lets spread the love of the game
Now I know there are many disappointed countries out there this week after the hosts for the 2018 and 2022 World Cup's were announced. [For normal non football people this is the international football / soccer tournament on the level of the Olympics for other sports but some would argue even more so important]. Now for the England bid, really folks you have the Olympics next year so its not the end of the world! And as far as the winners go, Russia and Qatar respectively, I think it is great that this tournament is being opened up to countries that may not traditionally be football people, (the whole we live in the desert with no open grass pitches may be a challenge for Qatar) but this is how the game will grow in my opinion so well done to the winners and to the losers, lets start talking 2026 and  2030! 

6. Fake pregnancy kidnap teen
This story disturbed me on two counts. Firstly its a story about a teenage girl (late teens I think about seventeen or there abouts but still!) and granted this is Africa but I was still taken aback by the fact that this girl is married! OK let me start at the beginning...This girl was arrested for stuffing pillows under her shirt for eight months as a means of faking a pregnancy. Why you ask? Because she had been married for some time and had not managed to get pregnant so her husband, rather than stand up for her and tell his family to back off, persuades her to fake a pregnancy so they could steal a baby from someone else to keep the vultures at bay! No, there are three things that disturb me about this story; first her age, so young to be dealing with all this, secondly the absurdity with which the plan came about and thirdly that this cultural mindset that says a woman who does not bare children is useless and you should throw her back in and fish out another one is still very much the status quo in 2010! 

5. Israel Fire
Israel mapI am not sure how it started but I am sure praying for all those affected by, caught in and fighting Israel's largest forest fire in the Haifa area this week. More than 13 000 people have had to be evacuated from their homes to avoid the flames and a definitive number is yet to be published as to how many have died as a result of the fire. Apparently three quarters of the fire has been put out now but there is much to do with British, American and Greek forces among others, over there helping them gain control of this situation. The air is reported to be thick with smoke making visibility an issue but the very best people are on the job so lets keep them in prayer.

4. Dreaming of a white Christmas?
It is odd being in Africa in this glorious and relentless sunshine while yet another insane winter hits the UK! Last year was a haphazard mix of being snowed in, skidding on black ice, having a constant cold or staying in doors for days on end! At one point the country ground to a holt with ice on rail tracks and the grit/salt supply that give car tyres and indeed our feet some grip on icy roads and pavements ran out! So this is a reminder to Boris (London Mayor) and the rest of his colleges to stock up on grit and keep the roads and pavements clear so my friends and family can mobilise in the snow safely!

3. Ireland is broke!
This is not news per-say as Ireland have been broke for a long time, in fact many European countries are! The difference between Ireland and lets say an average African country is that when Ireland finally admitted what many of us knew all along, that they were going belly up; instead of the response an African country would get, that is the IMF (International Monetary Fund) and World Bank walk in check out what natural minerals / resources you have then slap you on the wrist and give you a list of demands if you are to get help. Help I might add which will find you only paying back the interest for four generations before you get anywhere at putting a dent on the principle loan. No,, this didn't happen to Ireland. Instead, Ireland got a big hug from its European friends and a loan that is manageable (well what is really manageable when you have no money?) but my point is that Ireland's help will actually help it get out of this slump and back on its feet again... now wouldn't that be nice for Africa too?

2. Warning Label
If you were to be adorned with a warning label, what would it say?
My warning label would say, 'Take cover, a force of nature is heading your way!' Lol! 
You have a go!


1. Music video of the week
Where is the love? by the Black Eyed Peas
Apologies I couldn't find a version I could embed on this post so click on the link below to view the song.

I picked the song because it is the question that has been playing on my mind as I see such great suffering and poverty in Africa where dictators and corrupt governments freely oppress the poor and abuse their ignorance for their own benefit while the rest of the world watches...


And that's it for this week folks! A day late but well worth waiting for I think! And remember you can get in touch by commenting or emailing me atethosphotographic@gmail.com



2 comments:

  1. I have so many pictures of the sky, I've lost count. I love the imagery. But I rarely ever post them because I think most people see them as boring. I just see beauty.

    I love, love that sign about grudges. I'm going to save that one. Thanks.

    That really is a sad story about the fake pregnancy. Those people need help.

    It's usually quite cold here for Christmas, but we rarely have snow that day. I'll keep my fingers crossed this time.

    This is the first time I heard that song. I really like the message. Very strong.

    LOL, my warning label would say, "Unpredictable. Approach at your own risk".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matty love your warning sign! And welcome to Passion in the Moments!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Most Popular Posts