Saturday, 13 November 2010

Positive [Resigned]


Positive.
How can I be positive? 
Look at the destruction and desolation that plagues this place...
Peace is no longer; hope has fled, there is almost nothing left!

Positive.
How can I be positive? 
Feel the life drain from me and seep into the floor boards...
Joy is a stranger; happiness a story of old, can this really be a life?

Positive.
How can I be positive?
Touched by no other, faithful from the start, that is me...
Trust has dissolved, faithfulness is a myth, how could he bring death to the pot?

Positive.
How can I be positive?
Commitment failed, vows broken, lies told consistently...
Health is gone, vitality is no longer; how will I look after my children?

Positive.
HIV Positive, yes that is me.
Sickness will come, death is inevitable but there is one hope to hold.
Drugs and good food and care mean life will be preserved.
I will cope, I will find strength to be mother and daughter, sister and friend.
Yes I am positive;
That being HIV positive;
Does not have to be the end of me...





ethosphotographic@gmail.com

6 comments:

  1. Rue, this is so sad. So powerful. So real. Is it fiction? Did you write it? Tell me more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mrs 4444! Always nice to have you here at Passion in the Moments :)

    Positive is a fictional piece I have written of the real life situation of many women in developing economies/third world countries in particular. There is so much we just do not hear about on the news or see in the newspapers, the story of real life people living with great tragedy! More specific real life stories to come over at The Art of Being Humane in the next few months as I will be going over to Africa. Will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really beautiful (though that seems like a weird word to use). I look forward to being exposed to a lot when you're on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for educating us through your beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rue, This is a powerful piece filled with sadness as well as hope. I love the way you repeat the first two lines throughout the poem and then surprise us in the last stanza with the fact that you are writing about a positive outcome to an HIV test. Such devastating news for so many women in Africa! Thanks for sharing....Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well written!

    She's sad but is trying to keep a positive outlook on life. She's remaining strong for her children.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Most Popular Posts