Friday, 29 October 2010

Rue's Friday Fragments #7

Hi I'm Rue, the artist and voice behind Passion in the Moments / E:thos Photographic. As you may have gathered in looking around the blog,  I think a lot and share those thoughts with all and sundry (that is anyone who will listen!). This weekly posting is essentially an opportunity to share tid-bits, rants and observations that I have made in the course of the week that are not really worth writing a whole article about but are interesting nevertheless. These coupled with that odd picture I have taken that doesn't really fit in anywhere, news about what's going on @ E:thos and a review of something interesting, put together in one post makes up what I call Rue's Friday Fragments. There is humour, righteous indignation, sad truths and a little of me, so something for everyone...enjoy!

The 30 things to do before 30 list has got of to a good start with two tasks completed since the initial posting last week. Click here to see the full list, here for the London Tour and here for the beauty treatment pain!!! and you will be able to see how I got on! 



If you would like your goods or services featured here please get in touch with us at ethosphotographic@gmail.com

10. Picture of the week
On the bread line...


9. Tourist trampled to death by elephant

This is a sad yet bizarre story... A man named Don Hornsby was killed by 'an enraged elephant' when he was on holiday in Zimbabwe and trying to take a picture of the elephant. Why was the elephant enraged? Because the elephant is upset at all the poaching that has been taking place in the neighbourhood lately!?!?! Or so was reported by the New Zimbabwe Newspaper. The paper said that the elephant was traumatised! Really???? I thought. So I read on... Apparently Hornsby's attempts at snapping the animal enraged it and it charged him while he was fishing next to a river. I just don't know about this report but my heart and prayers go out to the family of this poor man.


8. Child labour in The united Kingdom
Seven Romanian children between the ages of 9 and 16 have been found working on a farm in the Malvern Hills District, Worcestershire, England without adequate clothing for warm the BBC reported on Sunday. (Child labour in the first world! Yes you read correctly, do not adjust your monitors). The children, some with their parents were among a group of 50 Romanians that were found on the farm without a license to work in the UK it was reported. The children have been taken into police custody and handed over to social services who are trying to discover the children's identities. It is truly ironic that these children were found working in the UK which has such robust law to protect children that it denies parents their responsibility of disciplining their children and raising them the way they see fit. Even teachers have little authority in their classrooms over pupils yet here in the midst of all this legislation we find child labourers! The mind boggles...


7. The E:thos I-Pad review
The official spiel: 'The iPad is Apple's first tablet computing device and builds upon the success of its iOS platform for iPhone and iPod Touch. Essentially the iPad could be perceived as a large version of the iPod Touch, but bridging the gap between small devices and laptops. The iPad is the portable, lightweight, convenient computing and entertainment device.' 
I got an I-pad about a month ago now and I have got to say that it does everything it says on the tin, its fantastic! This is my first experience of Apple products so a plea sent surprise how flexible it is and the amazing way it shows my images in its gallery application, I am in awe! The best feature for me is the gallery / image display application most definitely! I also love how I can write notes in the note pad and then email them to myself even if I am offline and as soon as I have signal the email goes through! the downside is that everything has to go through I-tunes which really is a bore are you have to be online to add anything to you I-pad and as I have the wireless version instead of 3G, occasionally the simple cut and past of windows is sorely missed. Aside from that it is fantastic, I love it and can see more apple products in my future....So overall I would recommend it, totally!  

6. Keeping hope alive for single women everywhere
This picture is worth a million words!!!
Being a single woman fast approaching 30 myself, this story brings such hope for the future! These first time brides (my twist) are blushing and indeed in style wearing the dresses they bought in their 30's no less in preparation for this their big day! They are excited and reading for that moment they have been waiting for since they were little girls!  So single ladies take heart! It may take a week or a month or forty or fifty years, but if you hold onto your dream, your prince will come!


5. Goodbyes
I was watching Ugly Betty this week and she said something profound which I actually took away from the episode and have applied to my life (yes I have learnt something from junk TV people!) She said (and I paraphrase a little)
Not so Ugly Betty in my book!
"Goodbyes are painful and seem to happen more often than we would like... though we will never forget what we have lost we owe it to ourselves to keep moving forward. What we cant do is live our lives afraid of the next goodbye because chances are, their not going to stop... The trick is to recognise when a goodbye is a good thing...when its a chance to start again..." Wise words.


4. A third sex?
Seriously I saw this symbol this week online. Cant remember where to be honest but I recall pausing, looking at it and wondering what on earth it was?????? I get that people have all sorts of sexual orientation these days but the last time I heart there were still only two basic sexes. Has that changed? Is there really a 'shemale' out there now standing as the third sex?


3. Slovenia elects Peter Bossman as first black mayor
An interesting story out of Eastern EuA Ghana born doctor has been elected the first black mayor in Slovenia and he is thought to be the first in old Yugoslavia as well. Mr Bossman says that he faced no discrimination during the political race and he is delighted to have been elected. [Full story here].


2. Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman sing to Dubai Fountain
 Uncle John and Me :)
Uncle John sent me an email this week on Thursday with this spectacular video presentation of that timeless song ' Time to say goodbye' sang by Andrea Bocelli love him!) and Sarah Brightman sung to the movement of the Dubai Mountain. It is just breathtaking and I couldn't think of a better way to end the week than by sharing this with you...To watch it, click on the web link below the picture of the Dubai Fountain...Enjoy!


http://www.wimp.com/dubaifountain/
1. Music Video of the Week
Song: Bab Yetu compossed by Christopher Tin (Choir unknown to me)
The song for this week is a beautiful rendition of 'The Lord's Prayer' in Swahili called Baba Yetu (which means our Father). I was so taken by the Dubai fountain that it is in our video of the week as well, only this time to the song Bab Yetu (translation below) 

Click here for the link

Baba Yetu Lyrics

CHORUS
Baba yetu, yetu uliye
Mbinguni yetu, yetu, amina!
Baba yetu, yetu, uliye
Jina lako litukuzwe.
(x2)

Utupe leo chakula chetu
Tunachohitaji utusamehe
Makosa yetu, hey!
Kama nasi tunavyowasamehe
Waliotukosea usitutie
Katika majaribu, lakini
Utuokoe, na yule, milelea milele!

CHORUS

Ufalme wako ufike utakalo
Lifanyike duniani kama mbinguni. (Amina)

CHORUS

Utupe leo chakula chetu
Tunachohitaji utusamehe
Makosa yetu, hey!
Kama nasi tunavyowasamehe
Waliotukosea usitutie
Katika majaribu, lakini
Utuokoe, na yule, simovu mwehu (?)

Baba yetu, yetu, uliye
Jina lako litukuzwe.
(x2)

Rough Translation

CHORUS
Our Father, Jesus, who art
in Heaven. Amen!
Our Father, Jesus
Hallowed be thy name.
(x2)

Give us this day our daily bread,
Forgive us of
our trespasses
As we forgive others
Who tresspass against us
Lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from Evil, and you are forever and ever!

CHORUS

Your kingdom come, your will be done
On Earth as it is in Heaven. (Amen)

CHORUS

Give us this day our daily bread,
Forgive us of
our trespasses
As we forgive others
Who tresspass against us
Lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from Evil, and you wake the dead (?)

Our Father, Jesus who art...
Hallowed be thy name.
(x2)


Have a great weekend folks! 






4 comments:

  1. Poor man being charged by the elephant. I didn't think they were so aggressive towards humans.

    Nice quote you picked up from that Ugly Betty show.

    iPad, iPhone? What's the difference? Can you phone from an iPad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor man indeed! I didnt think they were aggresive either and worse yet, riding on an elephant is one of the things on my list of 30 things to do before I'm 30..... http://ethos-photographic.blogspot.com/p/30-things-to-do-before-30.html

    Iphone /ipad difference? An ipad is essentially a giant iphone and a tiny laptop, a good cross between the two for functionality. Yes you can make calls on your ipad if you wish but not really a 'put to your ear kind of gadget! You can make skype calls on it too which is great but no video no sure if u can plug one in with an extension but there u have it!

    Thanks for your comments Karen & Gerard ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not going to believe this, but last week, our school paid a man named John Wesley Wright to come to our district and work with kids in the context of choir. He taught them how to sing in an African dialect (our district is VERY caucasion) :) and I attended their culminating concert. Their first number (which involved about 200 children) was Baba Yeto, and it gave me chills, it was so awesome! I think we paid about $2000 for JWW to visit us for a week, and I can honestly say that it was well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow Mrs 4444 what a happy coincidence! It is such a beautiful song and well certainly a cultural treat for your school and community!
    Thank you for sharing that
    rue :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Most Popular Posts