Monday, 2 August 2010

Woman thou art loosed...(from Lose Urself 4 Charity)

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. 
Confucius

Body image is something that is constantly under scrutiny in the media. When we look at magazines, celebrity & advertisements, the men and women we see there give the appearance of effortless beauty of the flawless kind. It is unimaginable that these people could have a break-out with pimples, have bad hair days, cellulite or any of the features we dislike when we look at ourselves in the mirror. These images are mainly computer generated and take an army and a small fortune to achieve, it not real and its not like that for them everyday so it shouldn't be what we aim for when we dress, diet or even think about our own bodies. I was thinking about why it is that I have not really made a serious effort to lose weight before now and I had the revelation that I am comfortable in my own skin. I have always felt beautiful, strong and confident and I don't entertain thoughts to the contrary. I carry myself with confidence, as if I believe that I am beautiful and have worth, I dress myself well and pay attention to details and more importantly I fill my mind with with everything but negative thoughts about myself. I never stand in a crowd thinking 'oh gosh I'm over weight and everyone can see it', instead I mingle in crowds and quite often hijack the party with witty and intelligent conversation, a little dry humour and sarcasm and a barrel of laughs! I share this to prove a point, that when all is said and done, YOU ARE WHAT YOU THINK! So start thinking positively today and shake off that negative body image, get comfortable in your own skin and if there is something you don't like about your body, do something about it!
When you feel low, remember...
Beauty comes as much from the mind as from the eye. ~Grey Livingston
Beauty in things lies in the mind which contemplates them. ~David Hume
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion. ~Francis Bacon
"As long as we look outside of Self - with a capital S - to find out who we are, to define ourselves and give us self-worth, we are setting ourselves up to be victims". Robert Burney
Self-worth comes from one thing - thinking you are worthy - Wayne Dyer
Is your self worth based on what you see in the mirror? If yes, you need to ask yourself whose eyes are you looking through? A media infested world will tell you that if Naomi Campbell, Selma Hayek, Megan Fox or Halley Berry are not staring back at you, then what you see is ugly...Don't believe that lie! Every woman has her own unique beauty and every woman has her flaws. Supermodel or Supernormal, know that your beauty and your strength don't lie in your clothes size, what you wear or what people think of you, it lies within you, in the place that refuses to be defined by subjective measure but by the truth of who you are...find that inner place here true value can be measured and whilst you're looking, know this, your value and self worth can never be measured in front of a mirror... 'you were fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God, that you are or can be the daughter of The King is you so choose...
Most of the images here are from the Now Foundation's Love Your Body Campaign and one courtesy of the Body Shop.

That which is striking and beautiful is not always good, 
but that which is good is always beautiful.
Ninon de L'Enclos

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Most Popular Posts