Tuesday, 31 August 2010

Project Peter

Project Peter
I met Peter who is from Trinidad on the streets of Reading in the United Kingdom.. What first caught my eye about Peter was his brilliant white beard as I passed him on the street. His clothes looked old and in need of repair or better yet replacement with a bottle in one hand and a cigarette in the other at about midday. Peter seemed cheerful as he walked along the street humming to himself. I went back and stopped him and asked him if I could take his picture, a little risky admittedly as he could have been drunk or high on drugs. Luckily Peter was sober enough to hold a conversation and told of how he had come over in the late 50s as part of a drive by the UK government of the day to fill job roles that had shortages, bus and train drivers I believe. He had settled here, married and had children. However his marriage broke down and he was estranged from his children and now sleeps rough or in a shelter. He talked of how he wanted to return to his beautiful homeland but with no family still alive or living there or money for relocation the life he now lives is his only option. The final picture of Peter looking into the sky is the point when he considered memories of his homeland.

13 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! What a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh i love these too - awesome capture - the subject is perfect and so are the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter has a great face for pictures. Wow. What a wonderful image!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's quite a handsome subject---your pictures make me wish that his life could be different....

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so stunning, what a story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the tones on the black and white....great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One word: SOUL.

    an amazing shot....worth the risk! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome. love the colors. great subject too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE shots like these. Pure moments. True moments. I think of how many I missed because I was too scared to ask. You just gave me courage. Here's hoping you win- you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning ~ photojournalism at it's best!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Most Popular Posts